Saturday, September 11, 2010

Wal-Mart (WMT) On My Radar

This morning, I checked my E-Trade stock screener, looking to see if anything new popped up.  Well, it did.  My stock screener returned Wal-Mart (WMT) and Verizon (VZ).  While I have talked endlessly on this blog about Verizon, and that pick is up .87% year-to-date, I am far more intrigued by Wal-Mart.

While I generally do not like retail (I worked retail for six years in a previous life), and do not follow retail stocks in particular, I find Wal-Mart to be an interesting pick.  Currently, WMT is trading at $51.97, with a 2.33% yield, 13.29 P/E ratio, and a 8.37 price/cash flow ratio.  I have written here about how I do not feel the economy is really that bad, and so I could see how WMT could be a consumer confidence play.  As people begin to feel better about the economy, and we get to see more job creation, like we did on September 6th, certainly we will see a rise in consumer spending. 

While I am not jumping on the bandwagon just yet, I certainly feel Wal-Mart is an interesting name, and one that should deserve more consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment